I was just on the Library and Archives Canada website for a search of the 1871 Canada Census for a relative. I discovered that the 1931 Canada Census is now available for searching by name.

Here is the URL of the new Multi-census search tool. You can search for your Canadian relatives in any or all of the Canadian censuses list on the search page. The 1931 Census is now included in that list and I am doing a genealogy happy dance because I am looking at the census page for my father!

Here is the description of the 1931 census from Library and Archives Canada:
"The seventh national census was taken on June 1, 1931. Information was further condensed into four schedules:

    Schedule 1: Population
    Schedule 2: Agriculture
    Schedule 3: Institutions
    Schedule 4: Merchandising and service establishments

Only Schedule 1 was preserved and it had 40 questions. In the 1931 Census three different forms of the population scheduled were used:

    Form 1A for the Maritimes and Québec and Ontario
    Form 1B for the Western provinces
    Form 1 - N.W.T. for the Northwest Territories

In one instance a rather resourceful enumerator, used an accountant’s ledger book to record information.

The 1931 Census was the first to ask if the family owned a radio. Since this Census was taken during the Depression, there are also several questions related to unemployment, including periods of unemployment and causes.

The sub-district names or boundaries in 1931 are not the same as those for 1921, particularly for large cities."

Brian Kelly