On 7 September 2010 16:13, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Rob Myers <r...@robmyers.org> wrote:
>>> On 09/05/2010 06:01 AM, Anthony wrote:
>>> I think that it's the same with OSM: DbCL ensures that OSM can apply ODbL to
>>> the result of combining all the individual contributions.
>>
>> 1) I assume by "OSM" you mean OSMF.
>> 2) The "worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable
>> license to do any act that is restricted by copyright over anything
>> within the Contents, whether in the original medium or any other"
>> gives them that.
>
> 3) OSMF *doesn't* combine the individual contributions.  They just
> provide the hardware which allows us to do so.

Right. If its the case that OSMF doesn't have a database right in the
contents of its database, then, logically, that right would be jointly
owned by all contributors. The contributor terms don't (as yet)
expressly contain any grant of database rights to OSMF, though you
might decide that "copyright" in the terms is meant to cover similar
rights, such as the sui generis database right.

I'm not sure its entirely an open and shut case though. If I set up a
website and encouraged and invited people to contribute to a database
I put together on that site, it is not clear that couldn't count as
"collection" of the items in the database, just because they were
supplied by other people.

--
Francis Davey