On 8 September 2010 02:26, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:

>> does this count, given that the contract (CT) is British law?

Yes. If the intellectual property exists because of the Australian
Copyright Act 1968, then any transfer of that property would have to
comply with the formalities of the 1968 Act.

> Probably depends what court you sue in.  An Australian court is
> unlikely to accept the validity of a contract which is unlawful in
> Australia.

It shouldn't matter _where_ you sue. In principle at least the court
seized of the matter should apply the usual principles of private
international law to decide what the applicable law is and then apply
it.

This is a complex topic, but put simply: the CT's select English law
as the applicable law, so that would be the legal system used to
decide its validity etc as a contract.

> However, I find it unlikely that Australia bans the grant of
> non-exclusive licenses over the Internet.  That would seriously screw
> up e-commerce to the point of ludicrousness.  Not to mention kill all
> open source projects (the ODbL, as well as CC-BY-SA, GPL, GFDL, etc.
> are all non-exclusive licenses).

It doesn't. Section 196 of the Copyright Act requires an assignment to
be made in writing and signed on behalf of the assignor. The
Australian provisions are almost identical to the English ones.

I don't see anything that would suggest that a non-exclusive licence
cannot be made electronically (as you say, the consequences might be
quite severe). Its also quite possible that Australian law follows
English law in accepting something like the acceptance of the
contributor terms as being both made in writing and signed. It might
depend on how the transaction is logged - if it isn't, it is less
likely to be so accepted.

--
Francis Davey