2011/6/7 Anthony <o...@inbox.org>:

> And what's the best, most accurate thing one can say under the ODbL/DbCL?
>
> Some contributors may have intellectual property rights over some
> aspects of their contribution in some places and some of those rights
> might be copyright and/or database rights.  The ODbL might apply to
> some of that.  The DbCL might apply to some of it.  Additionally, some
> places might recognize clickwrap license agreements, which might mean
> that the ODbL might cover some aspects of some contributions of some
> contributors.

That's a fair summary. It probably doesn't even need the qualification
relative to "clickwrap" licence agreements. Starting the last sentence
at "The ODbL..".

The difference is - and I am not taking a position for or against -
that more is caught by the ODbL worldwide than is caught by CC and, in
particular, in the European Union and other places with the sui
generis database right. That means that, where I am sitting ODbL may
make a much bigger difference than it might do elsewhere.

I say "may" because its just possible that UK "database copyright"
with a low standard of originality survived the directive, which would
make quite a difference. The CJEU has been asked.

--
Francis Davey