Matt Amos <zerebubuth@...> writes:

>i've heard the 'CC-BY-SA doesn't protect
>the data' argument coming not only from lawyers, but also from
>Creative Commons itself!

I would be interested to read that.

My understanding is that Creative Commons have affirmed what has demonstrably
been the case all along - that CC-BY-SA certainly can be used for data, as
OSM is doing now.

They noted that it would not magically extend copyright to things not covered
by copyright.  That is quite true, but it does not mean that map data is not
covered by copyright.  If we have a legal opinion stating that, it would be
wonderful to publish it now and clean up the whole mess.  (It would also greatly
help with people using external data sources, if we knew that copyright does
not apply.)

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>