Robert,

   when I wrote that I

* treat any tags contributed by a non-agreeing mapper as harmless if
  these tags are not present any more in the current version

I did indeed mean that the edit is harmless if the *key* is not present any more.

This will still result in some harmless edits not being detected as such, but it is not as bad as you probably assumed it to be.

In all these cases, the pertinent information in the new tagging can
be derived entirely from the old tagging, without the use of any other
source. So unless there's an explicit source tag for the new tagging,
I think we would have to play it safe and regard the new tagging as a
derived work of the old tagging.

This is indeed something we can discuss. My current scheme will sometims assume copyright where there isn't:

disagreer puts name=Fred's Bistro
agreer corrects to name=Robert's Bistro
-> way still flagged as "problematic" since the name tag was placed by disagreer and is still present (even if different value)

and will sometimes assume a harmless edit when it's not:

disagreer puts nmae=Fred's Bistro
agreer corrects to name=Fred's Bistro
-> way not flagged as "problematic" since tag placed by disagreer has been removed.

Therefore if the original tags were
added by a non-agreer, and an agreeing mapper made the type of change
above, I don't think it can be argued that the object is now
definitely clean. But if I've understood your proposed system, if
those changed / altered tags were the only tags added by a non-agreer,
the object would be automatically seen as clean.

Yes. I have no strong feelings either way; your argument is correct. However the question must be asked in how far you can claim copyright for facts that others have to extract from your prose. In my personal opinion, if someone wrote a note tag describing in colourful English what it is that he saw, and someone else then extracted proper tags from that text, then I'd be prepared to ascribe a copyright on the original prosaic note to the mapper but not copyright on the interpretation of that note made by someone else.

I'm sure it is an issue that we must watch, and maybe try and prepare a list with all cases affected, and make spot checks to get an idea of how many false positives/negatives we get.