>Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 00:34:44 +0800
>From: Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com>
>
>You're letting users pinpoint locations on a map created using OSM data.
>
>How is this different from tracing roads and buildings from a map created
>using OSM data?
>
>I think most people agree that such tracing indeed creates derivative data
>based on the OSM database. And I think it makes no difference if the
>tracing is on a point by point basis or via lines or polygons.
>
>So my opinion is that those coordinates should be licensed under the ODbL.

Hello Eugene!

Thank you for your precise feedback, this is exactly what I am looking for.

At this point in time am I not trying to convince anyone of my opinion, because
I have not made up my mind to what my opinion is at this level of detail is. So
I hope it does not come across as I am pushing an agenda, because that is not
my intention at all.

For me the difference is prior knowledge, and partly also level of detail. If I
ḱnow that a place exists, it is about two thirds along a certain road that goes
due west from place A to place B, etc, etc. Or think of where you live. Then I
already know "where" this place is, but yes, the map does help me in
translating my "where" into coordinates. I did not spontaneously see that as
copying of data. So for me pointing to something that you know exists on a map
and reading the coordinates is not the same as copying a building or a road
point by point from the map. It is very possible that you are "correct" and my
initial view of this is "wrong", but I saw it as two different things so I
asked :)

/Olov