On 02/03/13 16:17, Erik Johansson wrote:
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Jonathan Harley <[email protected]> wrote:
So - *must* you make your database of user-sourced geodata available to the
OSM community? I answer no, so long as it resulted from a produced work and
This feel very iffy, I thought this had been disproven already, I
might be wrong, but that would mean that the ODBL is really totally
useless. You have obviously given this much thought so I'm interested

Map data copyright does not magically disappear just because you print
it with a free map design. When doing methodical extraction of geo
data, you are not copying the produced work, but the map data so it is
still a copy of a copyrigthed database.


We did discuss this a few months back, and yes, OSM's copyright still exists in downstream produced works, as do the license conditions OSM mandates in the produced work, namely that it must include the attribution.

The ODbL definition of a produced work specifically includes images, and its definition of conveying the database specifically excludes produced works. In the discussion on legal-talk back in October, everyone seemed to agree that this means that produced works do not have to be licensed under ODbL. If they are not (and they usually aren't), then of course nothing derived from the produced work is either.

Personally, I think this does leave a loophole where you could reverse engineer OSM's data from imagery, but as I said at the time, I'm not worried about it because so much accuracy would be lost. In any case, Olov's use cases were not about reproducing OSM's data but about enhancing it, as far as I could tell.

ODbL has been carefully designed in such a way that conveying the database carries the share-alike requirement but using it only carries the attribution requirement. I don't think that makes it totally useless, but I wouldn't oppose closing the reverse-engineering loophole in a future version if there is one.

Jonathan.


--
Dr Jonathan Harley   :    Managing Director    :   SpiffyMap Ltd

[email protected]      Phone: 0845 313 8457     www.spiffymap.com
The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ, UK


_______________________________________________
legal-talk mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/legal-talk

Reply via email to