Am 04.03.2013 13:39, schrieb Jonathan Harley: > On 04/03/13 11:53, Pieren wrote: >> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Jonathan Harley <[email protected]> >> wrote: >> >>> Personally, I think this does leave a loophole where you could reverse >>> engineer OSM's data from imagery, but as I said at the time, I'm not >>> worried >>> about it because so much accuracy would be lost. In any case, >> Technically, it is possible to export in a format where accuracy is >> 100% preserved, e.g. any vectorized format like PDF or SVG. If you >> export all tags in a concatenated text string, your map is maybe not >> readable for humans but you could in this way rebuild the full >> database under a new license... > > That was touched on last time round, yes. Giving someone a > vector-format image might count as conveying a database. I think it's > ambiguous. > > The ODbL essentially treats images and databases as though one thing > can never be both. It's another thing that could usefully be clarified > in a future version, IMO. > There is legal precedent that a map can be both an image (on paper) and a database (don't forget that we are not discussing databases in a technical sense). In the end if something like this went to court it is likely that it would be judged on the intent, not on technicalities.
Simon _______________________________________________ legal-talk mailing list [email protected] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/legal-talk
