Luis

The LWG has spent considerable time discussing the "geocoding issue", so
it is not as if we've ignored the subject.

To illustrate just one of the issues, have a look at the first mail you
reference from Olov, he defines Geocoding as "The process of finding and
storing the latitude and longitude coordinates for an entity." He then
continues to say " ... returning the latitude and longitude coordinates
associated with the matching OSM object." and "... to find the latitude
and longitude coordinates associated with a point or an area, ....

Skipping the tiny weeny issue, that ways and areas are not point objects
and do not have a latitude and longitude associated with them. Naturally
you can calculate a centroid for 2d objects and use that in lieu of the
actual geometry of the object, but does that imply that we should treat
such geocoding results different than those from point objects?

BTW the main OSM geocoding service returns the actual geometry of found
objects, so I suppose it doesn't geocode :-).

So, yes, I think it might be fair to say that the LWG has punted on the
geocoding issue at least for now, to spend its time on issues which are
more likely to be resolved.

Simon

PS: the absence of a guideline to the contrary I would suggest that it
is prudent to assume that the results of geocoding (whatever it is ) a
substantial number of addresses or other information with OSM is a
derivative database. However I don't believe that this has any big
consequences in reality, outside of that the results have to be
maintained in an independent database.