The discussion in this thread seems to have been side-tracked by
discussion of the White paper. That was only supposed to be an aside
to explain how I come across the issue. The main question to which I
was looking for an answer, was the following:

"So can I enquire as to exactly what the content licence is for OSM's
geodata, and suggest that it is made clearer on the pages linked
above?"

The ODbL explicitly states that a separate licence is needed for the
contents of an ODbL-licensed database, and it seem that this isn't
currently specified explicitly on the relevant OSM
copyright/attribution pages. It presumably should be.

Thanks,

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker