Hi,

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 01:30:40PM -0700, Rob Myers wrote:
> On 30/10/14 12:51 PM, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> >
> > Share Alike is the expression for fear of abuse.
>
> Share-Alike is a weaker description of copyleft.

Thats the positive side :)

> > I want the OSM Data to be available everywhere and anyone.
>
> That requires copyleft, as otherwise people can make that data part of
> a system that denies other people the freedom they exercised in making it.

As i said in other occasions - The value of OSM is not the Data per se.
Its the full ecosystem, the currentness of Data the massive community.
When you take the data and walk away and dont offer the same freedom
to others you loose these values. There is no point in doing so.
Proceeding in time will make this even more shift towards value
of the community as the community will need to grow to keep the
dataset intact.

BTW: The above is the exact statement i meant when writing about
fear. You are making up some scenario with a big corp walking away
with our data - Its only a snapshot copy which is useless
and void in 8 weeks.

> > And it needs to be a no brainer which it isnt right now.
>
> It already was with BY-SA. It was made even more of a no brainer with
> the switch from BY-SA to OSM.

Sorry - I dont agree - I am working with OSM Data professionally
and its simply not possible to intermix with commercial data and give
this out of my hands. I havent got the license for the other dataset
to license it under ODbL. So for me ODbL is a Problem. Its not even
about making money with it. (which we dont - we are not a geo company
but an ISP). Its planning, estimation data for DSL speeds but i cant
simply give this out. Full Stop.

> > For corporations its most of the time easier to spend 500K€ on a
> > commercial dataset than to spend 5k€ on a Lawyer analyzing a
> > licensing issue.
>
> If we add up the cost of all the time company representatives have
> spent trying to get OSM to change its licensing *a second time*, it
> would have been a lot cheaper for them to get together and just hire a
> lawyer who knew what they were doing.

I have worked for multi national corps with 10s of thousand of
employees and the above is simply a reality. Before talking
3-4 hierarchie levels into giving you budget to hire a lawyer
you simply hand out a quote and write a little post it that
you need the data for XYZ. You get the commercial dataset
and be done with it.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                 f...@zz.de