Jan Erik

As the name of this list says it is "legal talk" (aka yapping without
consequence) ... not "get-help-from-the-OSMF". The proper places to
address are plastered all over openstreetmap.org and osmfoundation.org:
le...@osmfoundation.org (policy issues and similar) or
legal-questi...@osmfoundation.org (for specific use questions).

The session at SOTM-US (I wasn't there so I only have 2nd hand accounts)
seems to have mainly been the usual fairy tales with an agenda and can
be safely (and should be) ignored. (That is the polite version.)

We currently get at least a handful of enquiries to legal-questions per
week, sometimes per day, they typically get a response within 24 hours
(obviously the proper places can easily be found). Most can be resolved
by pointing to the relevant published guidelines

- http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License

and

- http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Community_Guidelines

there are some that take longer to close, but that is rare. Inquires
range from cinema and TV productions wanting to use OSM to new business
wanting to use OSM data in novel ways.

Naturally we cannot be an Ersatz-counsel for businesses trying to get
their ideas vetted (this has nothing to do with being lawyers or not
btw), but we can give pointers to what will and what will not work.

To your questions:

1) yes, see above

2) if you are generating the stats data on the fly there is no database
and nothing to share (the polygons are naturally derived from OSM and
subject to the ODbL but will likely fall under the trivial
transformation guideline). If you are storing the generated stats in a
database and publishing them in principle you should probably make the
statistical dataset available (given that you are already publishing it,
that shouldn't be an issue) on request.

3) the problem is that doing it in the proposed way is technical
nonsense so I'm not sure if it makes  any sense to burn brain power to
discuss it further (OSM object IDs are not stable references).

Simon