hi,

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 05:54:59PM -0400, Alex Barth wrote:
> > Turning this around, when do you think share-alike should apply in a
> > geocoding context?
> >

> If you methodically use a geocoder to reverse engineer the OpenStreetMap
> database, share alike would kick in. "Reverse engineering OpenStreetMap"
> would need a better definition and it would have to cover two dimensions:
>
> 1. Comprehensiveness (not just a "narrow extract" like addresses, buildings
> or businesses, but rather a comprehensive extract of the most important
> OpenStreetMap features together)

well, if you need just those features, then the extract is comprehensive.
by definition, there is no such thing as "narrow extract" which is not
comprehensive.

> 2. Geographic size (e. g. a country)
> We could establish these limits with an update to the community guidelines
> for what's Substantial.

the definition of unsubstantial I'd like to pass is something like "less
than a weekend work of semi experienced mapper". a country export (by
any definition) is far far more than substantial.

please.

michal

michal palenik
www.freemap.sk