Another update: I still haven't heard anything from the academic affiliated
with CC with whom I had met, so I have to assume she's no longer interested
in this project. That's a shame, but I know that OKFN is amenable to
examining the question of compatibility more closely. I'll continue to look
for ways to make this happen in 2016.