On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 05:08:04PM -0000, Abhiram Kuchibhotla wrote:
> I have a few questions about some things I'm doing for the Fedora Live SIG
> that I started a week ago.
> Firstly, are SIGs allowed to have their own branding?
> The reason I'm asking this is that since this is a very livestream oriented
> SIG, am I allowed to provide a kit containing stream cards that would be
> shown from time to time. Another reason I'm asking this is that is it alright
> for me to use the fedora logo as shown in the image below:

Yes, you absolutely can have your own branding.

See the guidelines here
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines and in
particular the usage guidelines for the logo at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines.

In general, the best approach is to work with the Design Team
https://pagure.io/design to make sure the proposed logo works. This
isn't meant to introduce bureaucracy but to make sure Fedora is
represented well — not any comment on your proposed design, but we
*have* in the past had examples which didn't get the colors right or
been off-message in some way.

> Secondly, what is the policy on domains? Am I allowed to register,
> say, `fedoralive.streams` and then redirect it back to the SIG wiki
> page to make it easier to publicize the SIG?

That's also in the policy document linked above, at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Domain_names,
and also https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains

In general, a custom domain discouraged, as it can lead to all sorts of
problems. How about fedoralive.fedoracommunity.org?

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>