Hi Kathleen,

I hope you don't mind if I reply back to list, as perhaps others are
wondering about this too.

> I was trying to figure out if the item record has a quantity? What
> happens when you have qty=10 NEC LT 245's at the same location?

We don't have that part sketched yet, but it looks like items can't have a
quantity. Because each item has unique attributes (serial number, date of
purchase, purchase price etc.) we will have to deal with items on
bit-by-bit basis and simply count them when we determine how many of them
are available when.

Also, think of the situation when one inventory pool gives items to
another inventory pool. Then having quantities attached to items would be
in the way. We just had such a situation when several laptops from a
research project were no longer needed because the project had ended. They
were donated into our common pool of laptops to borrow -- such a switch is
easy if we work on a "line-by-line" level and give each item its own
identity and relationships.

A lot of brains will go into the item and type models, as they will have
to know about their own availability etc., so this type of functionality
will probably be all inside the models. As soon as we get to work on those
models, things will become clearer.

Cheers,

Ramon