Hallöchen!

Jonathan Niehof writes:

> In short, the attached snippet contains full (distortion + TCA +
> vignetting) lens information for the Canon Powershot SD1100 IS/IXUS
> 80.

Thank you very much for the very thorough work!

> Caveats: the distortion information is from the existing IXUS 80
> information in the database. I added TCA and vignetting data to the
> IXUS 80 and copied it to the SD1100.

But I think the old distortion data referred to JPEG imags, which
may have seen already anti-distortion.  Dos the data also work fpr
DNG images?

> This is the older database format since I'm still running lensfun
> 0.2.8 (Ubuntu 15.10) and wanted to make sure it worked with my
> current darktable.

AFAICS, there is no difference between both Lensfun version in this
case.

> This camera doesn't have an adjustable aperture, but an ND8
> filter; when the filter is in, the camera reports the "effective"
> aperture in the EXIF data, i.e. an aperture that would give the
> same brightness.

Do both cameras have that?

> I'm assuming the ND filter doesn't affect the vignetting or TCA.

If at all, it should be negligible.  It may have a slight prism
effect for the corners, but let's ignore that.

> [...]
>
> I made a lenses.txt file with the distortion from the existing IXUS80
> in lensfun.xml, but with a changed first line: "Canon PowerShot SD1100
> IS: Canon, canonSD100IS, 5.9". I edited line 169 of calibrate.py to
> default to "Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS" (matching the exif) instead of
> "Standard".

Matching the EXIF of the camera model or the lens model?  Typically,
the lens model field is empty for compact cameras.  (I don't know
for CHDK, though.)

> For TCA, [...]
>
> I shot vignetting [...]

Just to be sure: Both TCA and vignetting refer to DNGs, correct?

> For the XML, I copied the IXUS 80 verbatim (both camera and lens),
> then changed model tag to match Exif.Image.Model (which is the
> same as Exif.Image.UniqueCameraModel), made the lang en a short
> version, and named the mount similarly. I populated both the IXUS
> 80 and the copied SD1100 lens calibration with the new TCA and
> vignetting data.

If both data is the same, I would give the SD1100 the IXUS 80 mount.
This way, the first simply re-uses all calibrations for the second.

> The vignetting already had two lines per focal length (near and
> far distances); I added two more lines for smaller aperture, based
> on the camera-reported effective aperture with the ND filter
> in. Note that, as with the IXUS 80, the crop factor is 6.1 for the
> camera and 5.9 for the lens (based perhaps on full area vs. JPEG
> area?)

Actually, bot must be the same  Otherwise, your calibration data
would not be applied accurately.

Tschö,
Torsten.

--