Let me say first of all that I'm just one of the monkeys who makes profiles
from the contributed images when I have time, and don't have a profound grasp
of the optics or solving algorithms, so take this with a grain of salt, but...
based on empirical experience trying to fit corrections to images from a fair
number of lenses, my hunch is that while "pretty close" approximations of the
center offset might produce subjectively acceptable results for distortion and
vignetting (particularly where the corrections are not large), this might not
be the case for TCA. Good correction for this seems to be sensitive to a
correctly centered image circle (or, I suppose, an accurate offset adjustment).
An interesting flipside to this which occurs to me is that it would be
theoretically possible to use this as a method of *obtaining* accurate offset
values (where the amount of TCA is sufficient), but I don't know if this is
implemented in any existing software. Other than that, I'll leave an
authoritative answer to somebody with a better understanding of both the theory
and real-world behavior of shift lenses.

--
jys