On Wed, 21 May 2008 08:10:56 -0500
"Edward K. Ream" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >  Packages which ubuntu thinks depend on tk8.4, like PIL, ImageTk,
> > > tkcvs etc., you will need to build from source, but others should
> > > work ok.
> >
> This is a nightmare.  Googling download ImageTk brings me to
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/python/python-imaging-tk

I guess I don't really see the problem.  If you're not aiming for
anti-aliased fonts, you should be able to get all the required imports
by:

  sudo apt-get install python-imaging-tk python-imaging tk8.4 python-tk

If leo was a .deb package you'd just install that and it would tell you
about the dependencies and ask for permission to install them.

It feels to me like it's time to suddenly veer completely off topic.

I recently started playing with Virtual Box from Sun, and have
installed and run Ubuntu 8.04 under Windows XP, and Windows XP under
Ubuntu 8.04.  A virtual Ubuntu 8.04 (under Ubuntu 8.04 would be fine)
would be a good way of maintaining a virgin Ubuntu install to test Leo
installation - Virtual Box has a snapshot feature so you only need to
do the initial install of Ubuntu once, and thereafter you can return to
a clean state.

There are other virtualization solutions, but Virtual Box is very easy
to use, which I think recommends it for this type of virtualization
application.