On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:22:51 +0300
"Ville M. Vainio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > - I have no idea where the links files are.  But since Python works
> > it should allow Ubuntu to restart even if ubuntu starts using the
> > newly-installed python.  And indeed, restarting Ubuntu went well.
>
> I'm still a bit concerned about this approach, since it messes with
> the "system" python. What will happen when security fixes for python
> come up? What about the python packages you install with apt-get later
> on, will they be available normally?
>
> Of course all this "may work", but caution should be advised.

You have a point.  So far I've found that all other python packages
work, the key to getting that to happen was compiling python from
source with the --enable-unicode=ucs4 flag as the default is ucs2 but
ubuntu uses ucs4.  Packages linked against Tk8.4 have to be compiled
from source.

You're right about security fixes for python - you'd have to make a
point of recompiling from the latest source to get those I guess.

Here's my original how to for anti-aliased fonts
with Ubuntu 8.04,

http://www.mail-archive.com/leo-editor@googlegroups.com/msg00320.html

with the addendum that when I moved to a new machine just a few days
ago I found I couldn't get PIL to compile from source without changing
to occurrences of '#import "tk.h"' to '#import "tcl8.5/tk.h"'.

I think the real solution is for leo and python to move to gtk - I
understand how the relationship between python and tk evolved, but I
can't see how tk can sensibly evolve to be a "modern" gui toolkit
without basically duplicating gtk at that point.

gtk support is good for linux / windows / mac os X, but probably weaker
for some of the other unixen out there on which tk works well - so
that's a problem.  On the other hand tk doesn't have to go away, and
hopefully python 2.6 / 3.0 will be linked against tk 8.5 in future
distros anyway, so we're really just experiencing growing pains.

At least open source gives us the tools to fix things.