On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Edward K. Ream <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I understand the temptation to think in terms of keys--it's how I
> sometimes muse about alternatives.  However, eventually everything
> must boil down either to Leo's commands or other aspects of Leo's
> internal behavior.

Of course - I'm just playing the part of clueless user / interaction
designer here ;-).

>>   - cut-node (ctrl+shift+x) selects the wrong node after the cut. The
>> intuitive assumption is that cut will select the node that "took the place
>> of the current node", instead of starting to travel upwards the set of nodes.
>
> Interesting.  This must be an option then so that we don't argue about
> preferences.

Actually, if the "wrong" way ends up being the default, having it
configurable is worse than having it set to wrong at all times. So if
you do change it, make the right way the default ;-)

As an analogy. you can think of "delete" key, for example. It deletes
the current character and moves the next character to the current
position, so pressing delete again deletes the next character.

The current ctrl+shift+x behaviour, otoh, is the same as delete
erasing the current character, then moving one char to the left
(which, when you think about it, is quite wacky...). It's just not the
way an average user thinks.