I just had a look at leoGuiPluginsRef.leo and it contains a lot more
than just @file nodes: @chapters, @settings, commented out buttons
etc.

so, is the statement: Ref files should contain nothing but @file,
@auto and @shadow nodes the whole truth?

I also used (successfully) clones in my leo files, where I simply
cloned the *whole* @file node. When writing such nodes, I get warnings
that the node has not changed (of course, the second write to the
cloned file is the same as the first), but otherwise it works - but I
was the only one working on the Leo file, and one should never clone
part of an @file node.

A cloned part of an @file node should only be stored inside a single
@file node, and nowhere else, but that is of course not simple to
enforce (just imagine, someone puts the same clone inside two
different @file nodes). For the same reason, hard links cannot span
multiple volumes. I think, the best would be if Leo would not allow
clones beneath @file nodes.

When starting to share Leo files it will be difficult to explain all
these limitations to new users. They should be able to do anything Leo
allows them to do, without running into merging problems.

Perhaps this could be solved with a merge tool for Leo files?

- Josef