Ignore my previous - for unimportant reasons I'm using yahoo mail online,
dumbest email composer I've seen, seems to insist you top post.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I used make, but it has rules like

  %.pdf: %.rst
          rst2pdf $< >$@

which says "pdf files depend on rst files, and if the rst file is newer than
the corresponding pdf file, or the pdf file doesn't exist, here's how you
generate it".  '$<' and '$@' are special make symbols.

If you're in to Python, scons might be better to learn seeing it does similar
things but is driven by special Python scripts rather than make's mini-language
specific to itself.

I'm sure make can search a dir-tree, not sure of the flag / syntax of the top
of my head.

Cheers -Terry