Thanks Edward.

This option remains unavailable correct?

  - whatever the line endings are on a pre-existing file should be
respected unless explicitly changed

Obviously the explicit choice being available at different point in the
outline structures is great, but it does create a bit of extra work, and
may be another point of fragility with cloning (albeit a non-critical one).

I guess the main issue for me is that I've never worked with an editor that
required me to even be aware of what the line endings may be, at least not
for cross-platform files where it makes a difference - for example, jEdit
behaves this way out of the box. . .

If this is the case, may I log it as a wishlist?