Hi,

Miles's comments inspired me to do something about the Homebrew version of
Leo. Instead of following a long-winded and increasingly out-of-date set of
installation instructions you will soon be able to go (if all goes well!):

brew install leo

I've created a rough formula for Leo and uploaded it to my Homebrew tap. To
try it out, do the following:

- Get Homebrew from http://brew.sh/, following their instructions on how to
install it

- Pay special attention to Python - if you have already installed a bunch
of Python stuff, it's best to keep using the existing Python. Otherwise, if
this is your first Python experience it is safe to install the Homebrew
Python (which will make your life easier) via

  brew install python

  (If all your existing Python tools suddenly disappear, go 'brew remove
python' to restore order :-))

- Get my formulas:

  brew tap ska-sa/tap

- Et voila:

  brew install leo

- If you kept your old Python, follow the instruction in the caveat printed
at the end of:

  brew info leo

  (I.e. add the suggested line to your ~/.bash_profile file if you are not
using Homebrew Python)

The formula has three versions:

  brew install leo => installs the latest stable release (4.10)
  brew install --devel leo => installs latest alpha (4.11-a2)
  brew install --HEAD leo => installs the bleeding-edge bzr version from
Launchpad

It also installs PyEnchant by default (which can be disabled).

I would love some testing of the installation before I submit it to the
main Homebrew repository (if you guys think the formula is a good idea). I
don't use Leo myself and have only done some cursory poking around.

Miles's point about using a Ruby-based installer to install a Python
package also rings true (although this is becoming more popular these days
on the Mac given how awesome Homebrew is for dependencies and Python
extensions, and this is not any stranger than the C-based "apt-get install
leo").

I would expect to install a Python package such as Leo using "pip install
leo" or "easy_install leo". The main problem has always been that Leo has a
non-standard package layout.

I (only now!) see that Ville, Matt and others have created a setup.py and
leo even exists on PyPI so that these installation commands actually do
something. Unfortunately, for me "pip install leo" results in a Leo that
throws an AssertionError upon running. What is the status of this
installation route? (It is not even mentioned on the installation page!)
Also, "leo 4.10-final" on PyPI actually installs "4.11-devel"...

Any comments welcome!

Ludwig