On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:18:23 -0700 (PDT)
Largo84 <larg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm really glad the docs are being updated. I know that's a
> monumental task. I only use a fraction of Leo's commands, mostly
> because I don't even know what they're supposed to accomplish. A few
> examples:
>
> 1) There are seven 'Rectangle' commands. Running help-for-command

I know you want the docs. to be more complete, not just answers for
your questions, but putting this text in Leo:

  > I'm really glad the docs are being updated. I know that's a
  > monumental task. I only use a fraction of Leo's commands, mostly
  > because I don't even know what they're supposed to accomplish. A few
  > examples:

Placing the cursor immediately before the first "I", holding shift and
moving it to immediately before the word "examples" selects a zero
width rectangle from the beginning to the end of the selection (zero
width because the selection starts and ends in the same column.  Then
running rectangle-string "[largo]<space><enter>" yields:

  > [largo] I'm really glad the docs are being updated. I know that's a
  > [largo] monumental task. I only use a fraction of Leo's commands, mostly
  > [largo] because I don't even know what they're supposed to accomplish. A few
  > [largo] examples:

i.e. the insertion of a rectangle of text.  Basically emulates the
Emacs commands:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Rectangles.html

> Tangle all @root nodes in the selected outline.

Knuth's literate programming which combines detailed narrative
documentation of the code with the code itself uses all kinds of
"tangle" and "weave" related terms to refer to the process of
producing code from the combined texts, or docs., etc.  I'm not really
sure that literate programming has much hold these days, even though it
inspired Leo initially.  It was good for languages like TeX that are
hard to read quickly, but modern languages can be fairly easy to read,
if you pick good variable names etc., and if properly structured can
usually be sufficiently documented with the languages own features
(docstrings) and systems like Sphinx. (Any or all of this could be
wrong, but I think it was Knuth and this is what it's about).

That said http://yihui.name/knitr/ is basically literate programming
for R, and very useful for documenting analysis to make it repeatable.