from a couple years ago, I'm as convinced as ever this is what
I want for a dev environment, instant access to versions of node
content which are 'next' to each other, not before and after.

OK, I've written a simple implementation of 'spatial versioning'

A database maintains a table 'choices' with 3 columns:
- id (node gnx)
- index (currently selected choice)
- data (a json dict with numeric keys, the value a dict {'h':p.h, 'b':p.b})

The gui element turns out to be not required, in fact, I expect
it would be horrible to have tabs for each choice.

I have 2 buttons: 'right' and 'left'

clicking 'right' increments the index and pulls headline and body from the
db,
making a copy of the current node h&b if it's a new index

clicking 'left' decrements the index ...

The Leo file knows nothing about any of this.

A plugin sets up db access and provides one function:
update_choice(p, offset):

p is the current position, offset is 1 or -1

There is lots of room for enhancement, but it already looks to
offer what I've been wanting: access to ad-hoc 'what if' scenarios
instead of the more formal 'and then' world view of VCS.

Thanks,
Kent