USB3 I find has strange troubles booting .. This is often a BIOS issue.
USB2 is how I installed my T460s and my previous usb3 capable computers..

The battery issue..thats new to me..
I've never booted up Windows 10 for more than one time, just to see if it
_did_ boot..

That said, I've got the 256GB SSD :
        *-disk
            product: TOSHIBA THNSFJ25
            vendor: Toshiba
            physical id: 0.0.0
            bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
            logical name: /dev/sda
            version: 1102
            serial: 76CS11GZTJ4V
            size: 238GiB (256GB)

Left the windows EFI partition only on it, and then put LVM for the rest of
the space on the disk..

I'm really sorry this didn't work out well for you.. Can you give me the
exact link to the download url you used for the Ubuntu image?
I'm curious if I experience the exact same issue with my own..