I have just updated #483: Remember toggle-split-direction
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/483>. I want to repeat the
discussion here, so as to reach the widest audience.

The enhancement asks that Leo restore the proper split direction when
reloading the file. Alas, this is an unexpectedly tricky request. We
discussed this at the Ashland meeting without considering the consequences.

There are two competing "natural" ways to specify the split direction:

   - The existing setting: @string initial_split_orientation = vertical
   - A *new* xml element, say <split-direction>, in the .leo file.

The problem is, *what should take precedence if both exist?* Either way
*will* lead to confusion. If the *setting* takes precedence, then Leo won't
seem to remember toggle-split-direction. If the setting *doesn't* take
precedence, then Leo won't seem to honor local settings!

The "heroic" solution would be for the toggle-split-direction command to
change the initial_split_direction setting, *provided* such a setting
exists in the *local *.leo file. Otherwise, the command would change a new
element in the .leo file. But this design is too complex.

Imo, the simplest and best approach is to do nothing. If you want Leo to
"remember" your preferred orientation, then use the @string
initial_split_orientation.  You can put this in individual files or, more
likely, myLeoSettings.leo.

Your comments, please.