As an extension to "arrange the panes how you want and save the layout",
there could be multiple saved (and custom named) layouts and Leo could ship
with "vertical" and "horizontal" default layouts and the binding to
"toggle-split-direction" could be replaced with a binding to
"cycle-layouts". Then the user could either modify/overwrite the stock
layouts or scrap those and just create their own layouts. I think this
would maintain simplicity and also offer a powerful system for quickly
changing layouts.

Just a thought for creating a simple/unified layout interface.