for some time now, the viewrendered plugin fails to load. This has been on
Kubuntu 16.04, with python3 and PyQt5 installed via conda and pip, as well
as with Kubuntu' deb packages. I thought the problem would get resolved by
moving to a fresh installation, but no:

I installed a clean Xubuntu 16.04, then conda via miniconda3, which
provides python3 as the default python. Then I added PyQt5.9 via pip. I
downloaded leo via git and ran: python launchleo.py (the linux installation
instructions say run "leo.py", but I did not find "leo.py"). Everything
seems to work, but the viewrendered plugin does not load.

I wanted to try the deb package, but that uses jaunty, not xenial so the
installation failed.

I also tried python2 launchleo.py, which should use the system python2 and
PyQt4 combination that comes with Xubuntu, with the same result: everything
seems fine, but viewrendered does not load.

Am I missing something? What is the recommended way to install leo on
linux? Note, I really would like to run it with python3, not py2.

- Josef