> ​How could g.gitDescribe possibly be objectionable?  A PR is kinda
> overkill, imo.  It's a new function, so just push it to master.​

Simply because I've never touched anything in core before and I don't know
what bits do what. ;-) Thanks for the vote of confidence (and I realize
that's actually confidence in Leo's ability to withstand me!)

> The reason I don't like PyGit is that Leo's git-related functions are
> straightforward, whereas PyGit requires considerable setup.

Heheh. That's the same reasoning I went through to abandon using
`setuptools_scm`. I just mentionedt PyGit as something out there that has
some size and community, I've never tried it.

For what it's worth, this looks decent:
https://bitbucket.org/th3l0nius/gitdiscribe/. Or at least I see how to use
it immediately, unlike setuptools_scm. (A bookmark for future use, should
g.gitDescribe need fixing/replacing/updating.)

matt