Hi,

Thanks for your post.

On 17/12/17 08:44, vitalije wrote:

>     I read all three parts and found it interesting, although it wasn't
>
>  Thank you very much for your effort and feedback.
>

>     So I guess after reading both pieces I get your point more - avoid
>     constructing complex state to manage something that is essentially a
>     process.  At least I think that's what your saying :)
>
>  Yes, that's what I wished to say.

This conversation remembers me Programming Across Paradigms, by Anjana
Vakil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg3UeB-5FdA

Now that functional programming is getting a new impulse, is interesting
to see the continuum that this talk is proposing. Dealing with global
state and a lot of intertwine in a mechanical clockwork alike fashion
makes development complicated. Functional and Objects keeps state
confined, the first in more aggressive way (i.e only in particular IO
monad) and the second by keeping it inside small objects that
communicate only through messages that makes easy to reason about state
(at least in the Pharo/Smalltalk case). Its interesting how the talk
invites us to use the proper paradigm to think about the problem,
instead of looking everything from the same paradigm and force the
problem to fit it, that I think shared Vitalije idea of avoiding complex
state to model what is essentially a process (a core proposal of
functional programming and the metaphor of the assembly line used by
Anjana and Richard Hickey).

In my case, despite of using exclusively Pharo now for my
programming/modeling, I try to get as much inspiration as I can from
other communities and paradigms (indie video gamers, clojure, music live
coding, this community). I think that this broader panoramic and
experience improves my coding, even despite of happening only inside
Pharo, so thanks Vitalije and Terry for the talk :-).

Cheers,

Offray