I agree that QTreeView would be better choice. Especially hoisting feature
is asking for a QTreeView/Model pair. After all hoisting is just another
view into the same model.

In current version computed icons are handled by QTreeWidgetItem, so there
should be no difference between how it is handled now.

The only thing that I don't understand is why are we deleting all the items
on every redraw and then creating new ones. instead. That seems to me wrong
and most probably is the cause for the delay in tree actions.

If any node is changed in any way, it is straight forward to change
corresponding treeWidgetItem and not deleting all the items and recreating
all of them again just to create different one for the node that has been
changed. QTreeWidgetItem instances have methods setText, setIcon that can
be used to alter them as needed.

Vitalije