On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 3:32 PM, john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com> wrote:

I like your more verbose discussion but your summary lacks the human
> element present in your more comprehensive statements.
>
> I recommend adding "Be specific" to the guidelines, disagreements often
> arise simply from people holding two different definitions for the same
> concept.

​Good point.​

I recommend dropping "The less said the better". Sometimes "more" needs to
> be said. Some people are also naturally more verbose. Both of those things
> are fine and simply need to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

​Hmm.  I like the principle as it is, but it's flexible, and it's only a
guideline.

My main point is that pithy summaries are typically much more persuasive
than long-winded rambles.

Not all posts and emails should be short, but they should be as short as
possible.  Editing is important.  For example, the first draft of the first
sentence of this paragraph was, "That doesn't mean that all posts and
emails should be short, but it does mean that its best to make all
communication as short as possible."

Engineering Notebook posts are quite long, because they are a form of
thinking out loud.  I edit them all before posting, but their length is
less important than the process of putting thoughts on paper.  They aren't
intended as persuasive writing.

> I recommend avoiding "Being blunt".

​I agree.  It has too many negative connotations.

Thanks for your comments.