On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 03:30:46 -0500
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume that a machine must be running the guacamole server to be
> accessible via the client.
>
> Edward

No, it needs to be running a remote access protocol like VNC
(vnc-server, not vnc-client) or RDP.  And it needs to be accessible to
a machine running the guacamole server network wise.  VNC/RDP is fairly
trivial to install, not true of guacamole.

So normally machine A is running the guacamole server, it can connect
to machines B, C, and D which are running VNC / RDP.  And someone
connects to A from E using a browser, and can then view B / C / D.

If you (a) had network connectivity from E to C, and (b) had vnc-client
software installed on E, you could access C from E without guacamole.
But (a) and (b) are often not true and (a) is sometimes insurmountable,
so guacamole is useful.

My Docker container makes A and B the same machine, running a VNC
server as well as guacamole.  Which is probably typical of people using
guacamole to access their personal desktops via the web, but guacamole
is designed to provide a gateway to whole offices / institutes of
machines, not just one.