I may have found a bug in Leo. I came across a file, which when read into
leo with @clean seemed to show up fine,
but when I tried to save the leo file I could not re-open the leo file.

I tracked the problem down to a particular character, shown as ^@ in gvim
and as a \nul in scite -- sorry the last time I used a hex editor is at
least 20 years ago and I don' t remember how to use it.

When cutting down the file to the single character, the behavior changed:
it was no longer possible to read in the file with @clean at all,
but when adding a lot of arbitrary text before the character, one seems to
be able to read the file and save the leo file, only to find it is no
longer possible to open it.

I used

Leo 5.8.1 devel, build 20181013173725, Sat Oct 13 17:37:25 PDT 2018

on Ubuntu 18.4 for my tests.

I attach a file with the problematic character.

Since both vim and scite are able open a file with the offending character
without problems, I wonder if this is to be considered a bug.

- Josef