On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 5:56:33 PM UTC-6, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> There are real costs associated with retaining Python 2 compatibility,
and I am unwilling to bear those costs indefinitely. These costs include
increased testing and distribution complexity, and foregoing Python 3
features, such as type hints, that are syntax errors in Python 2.

Otoh, there are costs associated with removing Python 2 compatibility.  For
example, some plugins apparently don't work with 3.

One of my guiding principles is that "two steps forward and one back" is
not good enough.  That would be a valid complaint about Leo 6.0.

There is no perfect solution. It's a judgment call.  Imo, Leo 6.0 should
happen next, despite temporary problems. In the long term, supporting only
Python 3 may make it easier to resuscitate moribund plugins.