Hello Edward,

I think this approach, to keep py3 as a separate branch, is a good
compromise. As far as I can see, the long-term-support versions of Ubuntu
and derivatives still run on py2 per default. Installing another python
version on top of this is not quite suitable for non-programmers. I still
have not forgiven Guido for keeping the name of the default executable
"python" in py3 instead of making python an alias for python2 and thereby
keeping a clean separation to python3. In Windows there are now the py2 and
py3 commands, but strangely not by default in linux, making cross-platform
compatibility more of a pain. One reason, why I chose Python for my
occasional small programming tasks is that it runs on Linux and Windows,
usually without changes, and so does Leo.

I think sqlite did this right: sqlite refers to version 2, while version 3
is called sqlite3. This avoids any confusion and you can even have both
installed at the same time.

- Josef