On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 11:00 AM Rob <larg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Suppose I have a xxx.leo file in which I write multiple web pages (or
> other document types, same question).
>
>    - Each document is a separate @file (or @clean) external file.
>    - Inside each web page are sections (nodes with or without children)
>    that all need to be the same content (perhaps some css or js stuff).
>    - I want all of the nodes to stay 'in sync' (change once, changes
>    everywhere).
>    - I could easily do that with cloned nodes. However, we are strongly
>    encouraged *not* to create cross-file clones.
>
> Imo, in your use case it's ok to use cross-file clones. The normal rules
do not apply because html and css lack functions.  Try it and see what
happens. If Leo can do the job there is less reason to use templates.

The reason that I recommend against cross-file clones is that there is no
single "manager" or "owner" for the data.  But here the .leo file itself is
the manager of the clones.  Just be sure only to change date from a single
.leo file.  Then all should be well.