On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 11:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 12:38:51 PM UTC-5, Terry Brown wrote:
> >
> > A lot of vim plugins are written in Python, so perhaps you could
> > use that instead of vimscript.
> >

> Thanks. I didn't know that. In that case the entire vim plugin would
> be based on this <http://leoeditor.com/leoBridge.html#the-basics>.
> Care to give it a go?

Not without much more specific objectives ;-)

vim doesn't always come with Python support installed, but I'm guessing
more often than not.  Also it's not hard to compile vim from scratch,
so in cases where Python's missing, it's probably not hard to add.

Given that, I don't think any RPC / client-server vimscript <->
leo_bridge_server.py plumbing would be worth the effort, just write the
vim part in Python, and therefore just use leoBridge as usual.

So then what?  vim can use a Leo file as a data structure, but how does
it navigate the Leo file?  vim's https://github.com/scrooloose/nerdtree
and https://github.com/majutsushi/tagbar#screenshots plugins both
implement tree navigation, but I haven't looked at either enough to
know if they can be re-purposed.  I feel that this looks like possibly
low hanging fruit, but would turn into a bigger project.  And there are
other options for editing Leo files.  Leo, for example ;-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/leo-editor/20190618142228.0e42abb0%40lakeview.