On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 5:15 PM Terry Brown <terrynbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using black for quite a while.  I agree it's probably not
> fast enough to continuously reformat a file as you type, but that would
> probably be annoying.

Thanks for these comments.  The prototype code in the "black" branch could
be adapted to the work flow you suggest.  That code understands
Leo-specific constructs, and works on nodes, not files, and there would be
blacken-tree and blacken-node commands, just as with the beautify commands.

However, Leo's existing beautify commands appear to be three times faster
than the blacken commands. Furthermore, Leo's beautify commands depend only
on Python standard library for tokenizing.  So my plan is to see if I can
use black's line-breaking ideas in Leo's beautify commands.  That should
take just a few hours.