We might not be allowed to use FBS because of licensing: *"To comply with
> its license, you need to open source your application itself under the GPL,
> or buy a commercial PyQt license"*. This is probably because they solve
> some of the packaging and distribution problems by bundling PyQt, which is
> GPL (or commercial). I've asked their licensing department to clarify if
> this restriction applies to X/MIT projects such as Leo.

FBS author Micheal Herrmann got back to me quickly and granted a specific
exemption for Leo, so long as the text of that exemption was added to the
LICENSE file. However it only applied to Leo specifically and not to forks.
This would mean that other works from Joe Orr, Vitalijie etc. would have to
ask for their own expemptions. Not very palatable in my opinion. *However*,
in further discussion we arrived at a much better and cleaner solution:
create a new repo under Leo Editor organization that is specific to FBS
packaging and distribution. This repo would have GPL license, and thus not
need an exemption. Anybody who wants to fork Leo proper can continue to do
so as they've always done, ignoring the FBS specific repo.

So Chris yes you can freely explore FBS as a better packaging tool (if you
still have appetite for any of this ;-).

I'll add the relevant portions of my discussion with Micheal as a later

-matt