On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 5:29 PM Brian Theado <brian.the...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your clone should work just as well. From the clone be sure you are on
the pytest-experiment branch (git checkout pytest-experiment).

That worked.  Thanks.

>> So I don't understand what difference pytest makes.  What am I missing?

> According to https://docs.pytest.org/en/latest/unittest.html#unittest,
pytest supports running unittest style tests.

> Clearly that's working.I only know I like the function-based style which
pytest encourages.

The tests in the test classes in leoAst.py segregate tests in to test_*
functions. That's probably why both unittest and pytest find and run the
tests.

> You might need to introduce failed tests in order to experience the
better assert failure reporting?

Leo's existing unit tests use asserts.  It's no big deal.

> You might also find the code coverage report useful:

Yes, that's interesting. The TOG classes remember which visitors have been
visited, so that's probably enough.

>> Btw, giving a directory does *not* work (pytest 3.6.7).  For example,
pytest leo\core finds no tests.

> the default test discovery for pytest will only find tests within
test_*.py or *_test.py files.

That explains it.  Thanks.

> 3.6 is almost a year and a half old, I think...Might be useful for you to
upgrade.

Will do. Thanks for your help.