On 5/27/20, vitalije <vitali...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Indeed we can look at vnodes and we'll see that each node found on the
>> > clipboard has a corresponding node with the exactly the same gnx among
>> > the known vnodes (providing that we copied from the same outline and that
>> > outline has not been modified since). If we use this information to
>> > decide whether node should be cloned or not then each node will be cloned
>> > and we would have just what paste-retaining-clones does.
>>
>> Right!  And you would be able to identify "internal sets" that match
>> and easily template-as-encapsulated with new vnodes, if the user
>> chooses to do the encapsulated template mode.
>
> I am sorry but it seems that you misunderstand my previous message. I was
> explaining why it would be useless to look in vnodes even though we can do
> that no usable information will be retrieved from such lookup. However your
> other idea (checking if the node is single or not in the whole outline)
> might work.

I think I got you, but tried to add a little more on.  Now I'm not
sure what you mean by single or not in the whole outline.  You mean
the suboutline being pasted as template?  Or the entire Leo outline
you're working within and making templates within?

I don't get why you can't look at the vnodes for the clones in the
suboutline (let's call it the t-outline, for the suboutline tree that
you've grabbed in the clipboard to make a template from), and identify
all those in the t-outline that associate with identical vnodes.  Each
such set of nodes within the t-outline that point to the same vnode,
get a new vnode and all of those clones get pasted as pointing at that
new vnode instead.  Thereby you've made the template's clones "local."

Just go through the t-outline and make a list of gnxs and their
current vnodes.  When pasting, make new clone nodes pointing a new
vnode for all of those that have the same/identical vnodes.  Any
clone-nodes in the t-outline that are solitary, with their own unique
vnode, just get pasted as plain nodes.

This would be different from paste-retaining-clones.  (I guess
paste-retaining-clones already does what I call template-as-global,
right?)

Seth