Yes, that's true, and just to be clear, that's not what I'm suggesting
or expecting :-)

What I want is to use Leo to build the *code* that
constructs/populates/queries a separate 'proper' database.

One option is just to have Leo remain in Sqlite (and allow some basic
querying that way), but *also* to define a connection in which to run
various updates and queries through a global variable or something. For
this I want Leo to supplement/replace a query studio.

Another option is to use agnostic ansi sql or a wrapper library
(sqlalchemy has some support for this) to store the Leo node tables
inside of another target db, thereby allowing joins and things between
the Leo nodes and their non-Leo counterparts.

I can think of arguments for both based on different circumstances, but
initially at least, my preference would probably be the former.