On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 3:32 PM Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, May 1, 2022 at 3:54:07 AM UTC-5 viktor....@gmail.com wrote:

> 1. I am not going to change Leo's test-all command so that it works in
> python/site-packages/leo. The workaround is easy: run `python -m unittest`
> from python/site-packages/leo.

The workaround won't work :-) Indeed, many unit tests contain the line:

    import leo.core.leoGlobals as g

Alas, this import assumes that the cwd is the parent directory of the leo
directory. After `pip install leo`, the parent directory is
python/Lib/sitecustomize, and we definitely should not (can not) run
`python -m unittest` from there!

In short, none of Leo's test (or cover) commands will work when using `pip
install leo`.

Altering sys.path before running each test would pollute *every* test file,
including leoTest2.py. I'm not going to do it.

*Summary*

setup.py installs leo, not leo-editor. We can't run unit tests from the
site-packages folder!

Installing leo-editor instead of leo would be a major change to Leo's pypi
distribution. I'm not going to even consider such a change.

In short, there is no feasible way to run Leo's test and cover commands
after `pip install leo`.