Sometimes there is just no substitute for a good calculator.  Even though
your computer could do a little calculation for you - if it had a decent
calculator program - the applet that came with the OS is hopeless and you
are stuck.  I sometimes use one to calculate parameters for use while I am
working with GF4, and I have occasionally had other needs for a calculator
in the past.

I am very fond of HP Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) calculators.  I used one
or another professionally for years before -and sometimes after - the
advent of practical personal computers.  If you aren't used to RPN, it
takes a little getting used to, but it's generally much easier and faster
to use once you have.  Those of you who have used them in the past know
what I mean.

There are on-screen emulators for a number of HP calculators, and they work
well (some of them may be for Windows only).  The best ones use the actual
microcode extracted from old calculators.  HP had some engineers who really
knew their stuff about arithmetic calculations and maintaining precision in
difficult cases, and their algorithms were generally outstanding.

A number of these calculators could be programmed, a feature I made good
use of. But the extra functionality makes the keyboard more complicated and
hard to read.  Probably few of us will actually do any programming with
these emulators even though they support it.

Some of the calculators that are available include the HP35 (the original
HP pocket calculator), HP45, HP21, HP25, HP41, and HP15c.  I recommend the
HP-45 emulator because it has the best combination of functions,
simplicity, and an easy-to-read onscreen keyboard.  The HP-15c emulator is
very good, but the calculator has a horizontal layout and is somewhat
large, so it may not fit well on the screen with other program windows very
well. It depends on your screen, of course. Here are some links for
emulators -

HP 35, 45 <http://www.panamatik.de/html/hp_classic.html>
HP21, 25 <http://www.panamatik.de/html/hp_woodstock.html>
HP41 <http://www.hp41.org/Emulation.cfm>