When I was using TurboPascal and doing a lot of numerical 2-D integrations
with complex numbers, I actually wrote a little library module to calculate
with complex numbers as if I was using an RPN calculator.  So you could
push a complex number on the stack, pop it off, multiply or add the two
numbers on the stack bottom, etc.  At that time TurboPascal did not have
complex numbers of its own, IIRC.  If N1 and N2 were two complex numbers
you could write, for example (based on hazy memories from long ago):

push(N1)
push(N2)
CMul()
{ and so forth, pun intended }

I enjoyed using the library because it was so easy for me to write and
debug calculations.  I just pictured how I would do the calculation on my
HP calculator and walked through the steps.  I timed it once, and the extra
overhead of using the stack library compared with a hand-crafted sequence
of operations was about 25% (I'm sure my implementation could have been
improved, it was pretty brute-force).  But the ease of writing the
calculation and debugging it - the RPN library won hands down.